Friday, February 1, 2013

#semperwise - Train Movements, Not Muscles


The typical approach of targeting various muscles in your workout is inefficient and ineffective.  The reason: Your brain sends signals to your muscles when you want them to contract (wake up!), but your brain won’t allow muscles to work independently of each other.
Courtesy of CorePerformance


 As an 18 year old Lance Corporal serving at Camp Lejeune in the ‘90’s, I was entrenched in the one-dimensional training model of the “Pump and Grunt” Bodybuilding era and old school Marine Corps exercises.   I succumbed to an ego based training module attempting to “Get Big."   In a very short amount of time, I arrived at a physical rock bottom- suffering from sciatic nerve pain, neck pain, low back pain, and tendinitis in both arms.   As a result, I was forced to take a second look at my training methodologies.   After conducting intense due diligence of different training styles, I began to incorporate a Movement Prep, FunctionalTraining, Breathe Connected Stretching (Yoga), Martial Arts, and Speed, Agility & Quickness into my program and into the programs of the Marines I trained.  Within a very short time, my issues fell by the wayside and achieved pain free peak performance.   Here at Semper Fidelis Health & Wellness, we encourage you to examine our mentors and influences that have helped us craft their programming.   Your workouts should use functional movements that prepare your body for the activities you perform in your daily life, recreational activities, and sports.  Make sure you use multi-joint movements that improve coordination and recruit lots of muscles, a process that expends more energy...burns more calorie...and provides a greater return on time invested.

1 comment:

  1. My spouse and i truly find out your web site pertaining to making exams as well as My spouse and i truly right now visit experience for this reason asked. My spouse and i truly got offered a task to undertake your current for ones particular developing organization as well as Image staying away from these people. Probably right now, along with the state of mind that you proficient men and women, I'm going to test it. TestoMax

    ReplyDelete